Al Watson Memorial Award
2008 - 2009 Al Watson, RC of Keystone Heights
2009 - 2010 Elwood Titcomb, RC Deland
2010 - 2011 William "Bill" Gay, RC of West Jacksonville
In 2008 - 2009 District 6970 initiated the Al Watson Memorial Award to recognize a Rotarian who has demonstrated the values of Rotary and community over . . .
a significant period of time. The guidelines for the selection emphasizes that the individual should emulate the values and commitment demonstrated by Al Watson to Rotary, his community, and the creation of a better future.
Al was a long-time member of the Keystone Heights Rotary Club until his passing at the age of 94 years. Sixty-five of those years he was a Rotarian.
Al and his wife were successful in the grocery business largely due to a combination of hard work, common sense and an engaging personality. Al and his wife worked tirelessly and donated significantly with little or no fanfare to open the doors of opportunity to community youth through access to education, to improving the quality of care for others, and for his beloved Rotary Foundation.
Al’s philosophy is best described by two of his quotes:
Wealth is like manure. You can leave it one big pile and it will smell, BUT you can spread it over the ground and beautiful flowers become the focus.
Advice to newly married after Al and Angie were married for 68 years: Marriage is like an Oreo, really doesn't’t matter what happens in the middle as long as love is on both sides.
Rotarians who have lived the same principles as Al Watson are eligible to be recognized with this award. Someone who works out of the spotlight . . . Someone who helps build community. . .Someone who does this work with joy, year after year.
Minimum of 10 years in Rotary
- Based upon multiple years of service not just one year.
- Must have exemplary service in at least two areas of Rotary, with emphasis on helping others.
- Cannot be in the Governor’s String or having been DG within the immediate past three years.
- May receive this award only once.
- Active member in good standing of a Rotary Club in District 6970.
- Nominations are made by a club president on behalf of club to current District Governor.
- Presentation made at the District Conference or at a time determined by the current District Governor.
- Be received by the Selection Committee within a time frame determined by the Chair of the Selection Committee.
Selection Committee: The selection committee consists of seven District 6970 Rotarians determined as follows:
- Immediate Past District Governor
- District Governor
- District Governor-elect
- District Governor-nominee
- Three at-large members.
- Selected the first year by the IPDG, DG and DGE.
- In successive years the IPDG will add a new at-large member.
- Each year the longest serving at-large member will roll off of the committee; except during the first three years, each of the at-large committee members will roll off the committee in the same year that the Rotarian who selected her/him rolls off of the committee.
- The selection of that individual should be made no later than the last day of February.