Decades ago, polio outbreaks were a constant threat around the world.
In 1980s, the disease infected 1,000 children every day in 125 countries. Today, polio cases have declined by 99 percent, with fewer than one hundred cases reported in 2018.
Since the PolioPlus program’s inception in 1985, more than two billion children have received oral polio vaccine. Five million children have been spared disability and over 250,000 deaths from polio have been prevented.
How can we all help?
- Participate in District 6970 polio awareness and fundraising events. Get more information from our page Walk to End Polio for District 6970
- Keep up the awareness of the effort to eradicate polio within your club and within your community.
- Have club programs highlighting National Immunization Day experiences from District 6970 Rotarians.
- Hold community fundraising events that include non-Rotarians
- Stay informed. The Global Polio Eradication Initiative website has current information about the status of the effort: Polio Eradication
- Encourage club members and friends from your communities to participate in polio immunization days in other countries.
Polio Vaccine – Factory to Immunization Booth
Bill Gates Announcement
District Calendar and EventsThere are no events at this time.
- Watch: Italian clubs aim to protect hospital workers responding to COVID-19 May 22, 2020
- Rotaract rising May 21, 2020
- Kenyan Rotarians take action to prevent spread of COVID-19&nbsp; May 21, 2020
- Italian club uses expertise to aid in coronavirus fight May 15, 2020
- Hacking a solution to the COVID-19 pandemic May 15, 2020
- Nature &amp; Nurture May 8, 2020
- Club banner exchanges showcase local flair, global friendship May 7, 2020
- Joint Statement from Kiwanis International, Lions Clubs International, Optimist International, and Rotary International April 6, 2020
- Rotary clubs help fight the COVID-19 pandemic April 1, 2020
- Sarah Parcak and the secrets of the satellites March 20, 2020
1 day 12 hours ago
⭐️⭐️Happy Memorial Day from the Rotary Club of Port Orange and South Daytona. We would like to wish everyone a safe and healthy day far and near with your family…
3 days 14 hours ago
The Rotary Club of St. Augustine's youngest Rotarian Leanza Mayo was on First Coast News last night talking about the innovative Meals on Wings program through the University of North…