Due to COVID-19, the next RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards) Conference will be held virtually on Friday – Saturday, June 18-19, 2021. RYLA is one of several Rotary programs for teens which help them develop their leadership skills and expose them to the value of being involved with Rotary both now and in the future!
We are still fine-tuning the program for this year, but past programs at the live conferences have included topics on –
- Traits of a servant leader
- Running effective meetings
- Reaching consensus in groups
- Appreciating and seeking diversity in groups
- The role of ethics in leadership
- Planning successful service projects and fund raisers
- Resume writing and interviewing skills
- Preparing for college
- What is Rotary and what can it do for you?
We need your help with five tasks.
- By March 15, 2021, complete the Club Pledge Form informing us of how many students you wish to send to RYLA at a cost of $100 per student. Your club will be billed after March 15 for your pledged amount. If you have questions, please contact Barb Kent, Rotary Club of Amelia Island Sunrise at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Before April 15, 2021, we need you to market the RYLA program to high schools you have a relationship with and then interview the students to select which show the best leadership potential or interest in applying those skills to school or community endeavors the next school year and in the future.
We wish for the participants to be diverse based on gender and racial mix, so please keep that in mind when selecting your students. Students selected do not need to be the top academic students, but they need to be confident and interested in working with others to provide service to their schools or community.
- By April 15, 2021, the Student Application Form (which you submit on behalf of your student) are due. If you desire assistance in the marketing or selection process, please contact Julie Waldman, Rotary Club of Gainesville, email@example.com. She can also market and select students for your club to send, if you do not want to do that yourself.
- After June 20, 2021, please schedule for your RYLA student/s to do a program for your club about what they learned and how they will apply their new skills.
- Stay in touch with them and invite them to participate in future service or fundraising projects done by your club.
Thank you for providing this meaningful program to a new generation of leaders!